Ksenia Gavrikova — coordinator of educational projects
Lucas Calavera — industrial designer
Polina Karakulina — designer of the urban environment
Valeria Rumiantseva — organizer of the urban projects
Anastasia Sergeeva — theatre researcherStages of team work:
Data collection and analysis methods:
- Ground-level observations, observations on the ground, primary analysis of the territory (historical, legal, urban planning information, image of the location in the artistic space of the city)
- development of sociological research, creation of a hypothesis
- Launch of an online survey and Vkontakte group — a platform for interaction and involvement of all concerned in the process; in-depth interviews, activation of growth points — the first lecture in the urban club of The Intellect Library
- Study trip, continuation of lectures in the urban club, first meetings with residents
- Meetings/presentations of successful cases on the formation of public spaces on embankments in St. Petersburg, participation in the festival of temporary water navigation
- Prototyping with residents (confirmation of the hypothesis), analysis of residents' proposals, establishing communication with the municipality, district administration, negotiations with the CAA, development of proposals for temporary solutions in the format of tactical urbanism, working with cartography
- Joint work with Neighborhood workshop to a group of residents united by a desire to make the South-West coast (directly to the Stone beach), the approval of a number of temporary objects, design with measurements, calculating estimates, design of sociological research
- Creation of temporary landscaping together with the residents, the Foundation Good city St. Petersburg Foundation and the Neighborhood workshop project, presentation of the study
- In-depth interviews with residents and experts
- Field research
- Short surveys
- Interactive maps
- Event and situational methods
- Online surveys
What has been done?
- Meeting with residents. Getting to know the Waterfront project
- “Water in the City” meeting
- The second meeting with the residents. Identifying problems and finding solutions
- Environmental action "Monitoring of marine debris on the beach along the Baltic Boulevard" (together with the Friends of the Baltic and the Marine debris in the Gulf of Finland project)
- Water festival of temporary navigation on the Bank of the Matisov canal together with Friends of Karpovka.
- Lecture "Ecology of the Gulf of Finland: will we be able to bring the ecology of the Gulf of Finland to disaster in the next 20 years?”
- Lecture on water transport in the urban club of The Intellect Library
- Prototyping with residents. Conditional zoning — marking the territory using placards
- Lecture on public art
- 8 joint meetings with residents organized by the Waterfront project together with Neighborhood workshops
- Waterfront + Neighborhood workshops Festival
During the work, the team members managed to attract a sufficient number of local residents, introduce them to each other and unite them around the common goal. Thus, people were inspired to change their place as they want. The team also successfully implemented the planned projects and facilitated the communication between locals, local authorities and and businesses.
The creation of temporary facilities within the workshops allowed to solve several tasks: to present in practice possible solutions that can be implemented within the framework of the future embankment project, to partially embody people's idea of the embankment and to promote the involvement of residents.
As a result of discussions, prototyping and creation of test solutions, local residents began to form an idea of what they would like to see in the future project of the embankment. In this way, social design and placemaking helped to start creating a community around a place and stir it up.